Y’all. It’s August.
…I hate to say this to you guys…but summer is almost over.
Ok, I get it, Lady Mary. You are cold and hard but you are also capable of love but most of all you DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT SUMMER ENDING.
So, let’s talk about things I need to do before summer ends:
- Go to the pool at least once
- Use my grill at least once
- See one of the outdoor movies at the Reynolda House
- Eat all the tomatoes before they leave me and I’m as sad as Lady Edith when she’s been jilted by Sir Anthony Stralan
- And make this black bean salad again
Let me tell you what. This is an almost no cook salad. And it’s full of fresh veggies and packed with citrus-y zing (yes, I did type that).
I don’t mean to brag here. But I took this to a potluck and someone else had brought a black bean salad too. My friend who threw the potluck said that my salad was full of much more flavor than the other salad.
In a black bean salad walk off, this salad will always win, Billy Zane.
Almost No-Cook Black Bean Salad, adapted from PopSugar Food
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 small orange, zested and juiced
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, small diced
- 1 jalapeño, stem, ribs, and seeds removed, small diced
- 1 fresh corn, grilled, shucked and cut off cob | I grilled the corn because a friend of mine told me that raw corn is rough on your digestive system. (YIKES) Grilling it kept the integrity of the kernels by not making them mushy.
- 1-2 watermelon radishes, peeled and small diced | I used boring regular radishes.
- 1/2 red onion, small diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, tossing to coat well. Season with salt to taste. It’s that easy.